I’ve mentioned here that I started to work towards building a cover for my little Miq, which I strive to use for devotional reflection. Last night, while roasting three batches with my eldest son, I did some stitching of the aged leather and completed the front cover portion. Now, all that’s left is to attach the strap closure and stitch on the back flap to hold the Miq’s back cover.
The coolest part of this, to me, is that I’m recycling some vintage leather, purchased by one of my great-great grandfathers. He was a blacksmith by trade, and this was to replace the leather on his bellows. Evidently, that never happened and the three sheets have been floating around for the past 50+ years since his death.
How did I do this, you might ask? It wasn’t difficult, but neither was it photo documented, to my shame! I laid out the dimensions on the leather with a ruler and pencil, making very slight marks. The cuts were made with a Gerber knife that was quite sharp. That created the back of the cover. The inner flaps were laid out similarly, cut and then split in half, leaving a slightly rough edge. I was looking for a rustic, simple look, so it fit.
The stitching was done with a leather needle and some upholstery thread. I initially commenced creating pilot holes, but quit. The leather is not too thick and the needle goes through with little issue. I hope to finish up the rest in a few days, if not the weekend.
The Rwanda from last night was a great 44g, 32oz French Press this morning. I’m really liking that proportion! Not quite the same, however, in the Chemex.
Solo Deo Gloria,